Thursday, November 7, 2013

Pics That Lie

I chose a picture of a light house and the coast, I chose this picture because of the potential devastating impact of environmental change would have on the coast. I found the image on Google images after searching "lighthouse." I edited the photo in a few ways, the most obvious is the removal of color from the sea and the changing of the hue of the sky. I changed these to give the photo an apocalyptic feel and dramatize the effect that environmental change can have. Another change was the liquefying of the lighthouse, I did this to give the feel of a candle burning. I then added a wick and flame, this again emphasizes the candle feel, showing that time is running out to change our ways. I don't think the manipulation really harms the photo, instead the manipulation adds more meaning to the photo. The article I researched was about the detection of manipulated photos. The article discussed a program developed by the former vice president of product management, this program can immediately detect if a photo has been manipulated. The article only related to my  photo because my photo was edited, however I found the article interesting because of the link between the former vice president and his new line of work. I ended up choosing this article because most people are unaware of how many photos that they see are edited. Although I think that most photos that are edited are done so to emphasize the effect of the photo, its still reasonable for people to understand what they are looking at, and that that photo may not be completely "real."



2 comments:

  1. Cool looking picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your picture and the manipulation. the picture looks or fantastical than apocalyptic though.

    ReplyDelete